Building on Scott Rossi’s Swarm stack, I’ve managed to build my version of
swarming Boids. In my FlockOBoids stack, boids are given a diverse set of
initial velocity vectors, and then they are subject to 3 simple rules: First
they all try to fly to the center of the flock. Second, they try to buddyup if
they get close enough to each other, and third, they avoid colliding with other
boids.

You can see and play with this here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c93ocic5mwaafuy/FlockOBoids.livecode?dl=0

Thanks for the idea, Scott.