On 02/17/2016 03:06 PM, RM wrote:
So, after keeping quiet on this for about 5 years . . .

I was digging away in some ZIP disks I have access to via a SCSI card in
the back of my Linux
box [neither my G3 iMac, nor my G5 iMac having SCSI ports] and I chanced
upon some
"LiveCode" (i.e. Runtime Revolution) stacks I made while I was working
at the University of St. Andrews
for foreign students to practise English vowel sounds . . . and thought
. . .

wouldn't it be "fun" (this involves a fairly broad definition of what
constitutes fun) if it were now
possible to port them to run on Linux, including the ability to embed
the sounds in the stack.

So?

Richmond.

Richmond, you can play audioclips under Linux. I'm not sure what dependencies you need to satisfy and you may have to experiment to find a format/bit rate/sampling rate that plays, but it can work. For some reason some sounds (perhaps due to short length?) don't appear to play in the IDE but will play in a standalone. Download and experiment with Jacquie's Blocks. The woodtap doesn't play for me in the IDE but works in a standalone. The fanfare plays but is truncated in the IDE and works fine in the standalone. The sound used to signal the end of a game with blocks left plays as white noise instead of whatever it's supposed to sound like.

Good luck!