Thanks to all those who replied - ‘the internet date’ was the answer I needed,
since I then didn’t have to get out of my LiveCode comfort zone to do the
calculation. I’m thinking of time-stamping some interactions that are going to
go through a program I’m running on LiveCode Server. Right now I have it
running on DreamHost, whose servers presumably stay in one place, but I wanted
an invariant time stamp not depending on the location of the server or of any
particular user, so I saw UTC as the way to go.

My issue was that I didn’t know of a command that I could run on the server, or
a url to a public time server, that would just give me UTC in its simplest form
without leaving LiveCode - probably very lazy of me, but I want to keep things
as simple as I can. I have now written a little homegrown routine that uses
‘the internet date’ which seems to work fine.

Thanks again

Graham