On Wed, 27 Apr 2016,  Richard Gaskin wrote:

I think Kevin said best back in August in a discussion of when to choose
LCS and LCB:

    (snip)

     Previously our primary choices were between LiveCode Script
     and a lower level language such as C. Now we have a third
     choice, an intermediate LiveCode Builder. Its much faster
     [to develop in] than C but slower than Script. It is going
     to excel at certain tasks. However we should always choose
     to use it only when it offers clear advantages above
     LiveCode Script for the project that outweigh the extra
     level of effort needed to use it. I know its very tempting
     having added a whole new language to build everything in
     that, but we must carefully resist that temptation and use
     it judiciously, only for what it is best at.

<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2015-August/217848.html>

--
Richard Gaskin

When Kevin states

Its much faster
     [to develop in] than C but slower than Script. It is going
     to excel at certain tasks.

What about the performance speed of a LCB widget? O.K., it is more difficult to *develop* the widget than a LCS-scripted custom control, but would a widget *execute* much faster than a group as a custom control? Would, for example, a matrix-convolve widget for image processing make up for the serious speed loss we are experiencing especially with LC versions 7.x and 8.x?

Kind regards,

Wilhelm Sanke

---