I can no lonegr select the text of a menu button. I would tell you what kind of
menu button it is but the inspector no longer seems to tell me that. The select
command according to the dictionary now only works on pictures, not text. That
is a BIG deal. Several of my menus work this way. As the user types, I filter
down the menu options that begin with what the user has already typed, so that
he can type 2 or 3 characters and the list will be a few items long instead of
the original several hundred.

Since setting the text of a menu button *ALSO* sets the label to the first
line, I have to select the character after the last one typed to the end of
what is now the label, so that the user progressively replaces that selection
with what he types next.

Seems complicated, but just think how web browsers try to fill in the rest of
what you typed with search suggestions, and that is exactly the effect I
created. Works in 6.7 does NOT work in 8.

Bob S