Monte Goulding wrote:
> Ah… the target attribute is not supported by htmlText. htmlText is
> a limited subset of html that supports only field chunk properties.
> There’s no guarantee on round-tripping your htmlText.

Given how much of modern HTML makes good use of CSS, the range of things one can round-trip through htmlText is close to zero.

And that's not bad, given that they're designed for entirely different purposes: HTML provides content and structure for web pages in a browser, and htmlText uses HTML-like conventions to provide a plain-text representation of a field's content and styles.

@Ton: If you use Mike's script to trap the linkClicked message the URL will open in a new window anyway (a browser window), so you'll have what you're looking for without an extra target attribute.

@Monte: Some time ago Mark Waddingham floated the notion of adding "xmlText" as a synonym for "htmlText", eventually deprecating the latter. I like the idea since it helps manage expectations about what htmlText is designed for. Is that still seen as desirable?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems