Paul Dupuis wrote:

> In truth a NEW portable document format needs to be invented that
> connects and preserves content to its appearance, but I suspect that
> people who want to keep both intact and portable are just using HTML5
> and CSS3.

CSS is a wonderful solution.

Being prone to idealism, I like to believe (admittedly in the absence of all current evidence) that we're only a few years away from the nearly complete abandonment of PDF as a popular format for everything except perhaps the subset of documents that truly must remain in form that emulates yesteryear's printed page, an ever-shrinking use-case.

For everything else, content in HTML with formatting in CSS is a wonderful option.

Better still might be for the world to adopt LiveCode stacks as a universal document format. For more programmer-accessible and feature-rich than PDF, and fully open source.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems