On 2016-07-11 16:15, Paul Dupuis wrote:
It is good to know that, at least for a time, some way to make
exceptions exists. I still think, that all the benefits of HTTPS aside,
taking choice away from consumers, is wrong and a "bad" move on Apple's
part.

They aren't taking the choice away from consumers - they are forcing developers to take some responsibility for the security of the apps which they wish to offer through Apple's stores thus helping Apple to ensure that iOS and Mac continue to be a relatively 'safe' space with regards internet security and the consumer's usage of their devices.

There are rules and regulations (often backed up by law) covering most things which are sold in most spheres - sometimes to ensure interoperability (e.g. certain radio bands are controlled to ensure wifi devices work); oftentimes to ensure safety (e.g. foods cannot be sold if they contain substances which have been found to be harmful).

I must confess I'm generally glad that if I buy a wifi device, then it will be pretty much guaranteed *not* to break other wifi devices I have; and exceedingly glad that I'm exceptionally unlikely to be able to buy something to eat off a supermarket shelf which would kill me due to usage of unsafe additives. Good internet security, I think, should *definitely* be considered alongside these kinds of legislation-backed regulations.

Of course, it should be pointed out here that ATS relates to app developers writing apps *not* general internet usage through browsers on iOS and Mac devices. i.e. Apple are saying - "if you have control over your servers and such then we expect you to follow best security practice if you want to benefit from our store ecosystem".

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

--
Mark Waddingham ~ m...@livecode.com ~ http://www.livecode.com/