On 2016-08-20 23:11, Richard Gaskin wrote:
In all cases, the data is read and written in binary mode.

If neither "number of bytes of" or "number of chars" will help, how
can I know the true byte length of a chunk of data?

The true byte length of a chunk of data is 'the number of bytes of' so I'm not entirely clear on what you are asking for.

If you are existing data from a file, and finding where it is then surely you know:

  1) its offset

  2) its length (in bytes)

If you didn't know either you wouldn't be able to load it and use it (after decoding it).

A value only gets a 'byte length' when it is actually encoded as binary data. For example, the length of a string encoded as UTF8 can be determined by using:

  the number of bytes in textEncode(tString, "utf8")

However, an encoding of a string on disk might include a prefix describing the size of the string, and might or might not include a trailing NUL byte.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

--
Mark Waddingham ~ m...@livecode.com ~ http://www.livecode.com/