Jeanne A. E. DeVoto wrote:

> At 12:23 PM -0800 12/2/2016, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>>I believe the original post here was about cloning, presumably done
>>via Option+drag (on macOS, or Cntrl+drag on Win and Linux).
>
> Hmm, I was under the impression that it was scripted using the
> "clone" command. I'd forgotten about option-drag...
>
> ...but that's also done with the pointer tool, not the graphic tool.
> So checking the tool would also exempt that case from auto-resizing
> small graphics.

IMO it would be even worse to have an IDE convenience prevent people from scripting their apps.

>>So many possibilities that I wouldn't be opposed to completely
>>removing arbitrary IDE-imposed limits on what people can do with
>>their objects.
>
> A good point, but there's also the utility of having the interface
> act to "heal" common mistakes and enable common patterns (like
> single-clicking with an object tool to create that object).

How often does that accident that happen?

And how often does one need to use a smaller graphic in their app and find themselves mystified by being unable to do so?

Either path has trade-offs, but since this is a developer tool, rather than a consumer drawing tool, I'd favor design decisions that leave the developer in control.

If someone's smart enough to develop software, they're probably smart enough to figure out how to grab a resize handle and make a graphic larger. :)

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems