On 2/7/17 4:07 PM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode wrote:
On 2/7/2017 5:01 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
On 2/7/17 2:13 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
J. Landman Gay wrote:

Curiosity question: Do multiple nested groups (3 or 4 levels deep)
affect CPU and memory performance? Are fewer nested groups easier
on the engine?

Because they effectively deepen the message path, I'd wager there is
some difference, at least in terms of initializing the message path as
the objects are unpacked before preOpenCard.

That said, given the speed of the natural message path I'd wager it
would be small enough to be unnoticeable, and perhaps even difficult to
measure.

I was thinking about the amount of redrawing the engine would need to
do to render them.

I have a number of stack with a lot of controls in multiple nested
groups. For me, the groups are primarily for organizing objects on the
card so I can find what I am looking for as a developer. OR when I want
to move a set of related control around. In all such cases, I have never
noticed a visible difference in rendering of the cards vs card with few
groups or fewer controls in a similar number of groups.

This is just human perception. I have never timed renderings to compare.

Thanks. I'm working with a stack that has some memory issues which includes many image-rich nested groups. I don't think this is contributing directly to the problem but wondered if reducing the number of groups might help.