Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> One of the points that might be brought up at this point is that
> LiveCode in presented as a complete programming language/packet
> in itself; there is no indication given that users of LiveCode
> are expected to know other, lower-level languages too.
>
> I suspect that a very high proportion of people who use LiveCode,
> whether one of the 2 commercial offerings, or the free offering,
> do so just because they have either (like myself) done their level
> best to forget all the command-line languages of their youth, or
> don't know any and don't wish to learn any.

With engine code, much of LC's community - including me - is in the same place as those using other scripting engines: as scripters, relatively few among us have the C chops to contribute to that part of the project.

But with LiveCode we have options beyond the engine itself. As you noted, it's more than just a scripting engine, it's a complete IDE, and with LiveCode everything in the IDE is written in LiveCode.

Those in a position to contribute fixes and enhancements can search the bug DB for items involving the IDE.

And to make that even easier Peter Brett provides a shortlist in each weekly community newsletter, grouped by difficulty - here's the most recent:

   Help needed!

   Want to get involved in the LiveCode open source project but
   don’t know where to start? Try one of these:

   - (Easy) Update & complete documentation for "the processor"
   - (Easy) selectionChanged does not appear in the player object page
     of the dictionary
   - (Easy) Fix format of "mobileControlDo" dictionary entries
   - (Medium) Add info on manipulating field contents to the User Guide
   - (Medium) Make guide outlines in the Dictionary expand/collapse
      with repeated clicks
   - (Medium) Reduce whitespace in Dictionary
   - (Hard) Allow Windows line endings in script-only stacks
   - (Hard) Create a LiveCode Community build for Raspberry Pi

<https://livecode.github.io/this-week-in-livecode/issue/2017/03/06/this-week-in-livecode-73.html>

--
 Richard Gaskin
 LiveCode Community Laison