time = 1489755600

Mac:      dateitems = 2017,3,17,9,0,0,6
server:   dateitems = 2017,3,17,12,0,0,6

Code:   get time
convertit to dateitems

I don't understand how the local time comes into play when converting a constant number of seconds. The resulting date should be a constant as well.

What am I missing?

-= Mike

On 3/16/17 4:05 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
Michael Doub wrote:

> I am getting different answers based on environment when trying to
> convert EPOC seconds to dateitems or internet date.   On my mac I get
> the expected result but on a HostM server I get something totally
> different.

How different?

> Does any one have a conversion function that does not use the
> livecode's convert function that they would be willing to share?

The seconds are usually a very good choice for their compactness and ease of calculation, and more so because the value we get is in GMT based on the offset from host OS.

What this should mean is that you can convert values obtained from "the seconds" and get a good date/time regardless of which time zone you're in.

So seconds are usually ideal (along with "internet date") for network applications such as the one you're working on.

But for the conversion to take your local system into account, you'll need to do the conversion locally.

If you're doing the conversion on the server, the date/time will reflect the time zone settings in the server OS.