On 2017-05-13 19:35, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode wrote:
Apparently, both WebView (android) and uiwebview (iOS) have transparent modes.

Would it be easy for the LC team to implement a transparent mode for
browser widgets, where the background color is transparent, allowing
other objects to show through?

This would obviate the need for some the processor intensive image
transfers in and out of the widget.

I know one would have to set the background-color of the body element
to transparent and set a couple of settings in the WebView calls. Is
that all it would take?

The browser widget uses a system 'view' (UIView on Mac, View on Android,
HWND on Windows, NSView on Mac and X11 Window on Linux) to host the browser
control - thus whether or not they can be composited with a transparent
background depends on the system.

For Mac, Android and iOS it is probably possible by just toggling a flag
to say whether the view is opaque or not (although I've not looked into
it).

For Windows, Linux things are more tricky - as it requires that child
windows composite into the parent window. The 'traditional' model on those platforms is that child windows are islands-on-their-own. That being said,
CEF does have a windowless mode in more recent versions which might be
usable to get a similar effect. However, I'm not sure what would be involved
in providing that as a choice.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

--