I assume flushEvents() isn't available for mobile? At least the 8.1.3 dictionary shows it is for desktop only.

So would something like this work?

local sTaskStatus, sTaskRequests

on mouseUp
    send "doTask" to me in 0 seconds
    put the result & CR after sTaskRequests
end mouseUp

command doTask
     if sTaskStatus is empty
     then put "busy" into sTaskStatus
     else exit doTask

     -- do your task here

     repeat for each line tRequestID in sTaskRequests
         cancel tRequestID
     end repeat
     put empty into sTaskStatus
     put empty into sTaskRequests