On 2017-05-19 06:23, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
On 05/18/2017 07:14 PM, Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode wrote:
Now that we are talking about widgets and extensions, many thanks again
Mark Wieder for updating Peter Thirkell multicolor svg widget.

Just for curiosity, Could you write a blog entry about your process of
updating this widget? Maybe others would find this useful to update their
own widgets.

I'll think about it, but I'm probably the wrong person to write up the
process of creating/modifying widgets at this point. But I'd love to
see Peter write up the process he went through. All I did was add some
flexibility to the xml parsing (which in LCB ends up working with char
offsets and is ridiculously ugly, fragile, and error-prone) and
allowing hex representations of color specifications.

If we are honest then parsing XML even with LCS's excellent text chunking isn't necessarily *that* much 'prettier'. XML is quite a complicated format if you
want a 100% compliant reader (do we have a 100% compliant XML parser
written in LiveCode?) - hence why, in this case, it would probably be better
to have a wrapper around a well established XML library in LCB.

Why reinvent a wheel which many other people have already decided needs reinventing...

(Although, having said that, there is something quite pleasing about this
kind of thing being written in the host language - pragmatically though,
we're probably better off with readers which are maintained by people
who live and breath these import formats - at least when you need the most
generality).

I had to move it out of my Extensions folder after testing it since
having both the LC8 and LC9 versions in places messes things up. This
changing binary format thing is a pain.

Point taken - it is a pain! However, it won't be like this forever - and
obviously the sooner it is stable, the better it is for the ecosystem.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

--
Mark Waddingham ~ m...@livecode.com ~ http://www.livecode.com/