On 6/8/17 6:56 pm, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
Roger Eller wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 10:56 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> Using a supported version of an OS that's receiving critical security
>> patches along with other updates is the safest choice, and one that
>> could not be more economical given a purchase price for most Linux
>> distros of zero.
>
> But even with PPC Linux to revive old hardware, if LiveCode usage is
> your end game, there isn't a PPC Linux version (or is there?).

Good point, touching on two aspects:

Security: Not only do OSes need to be updated to remain secure, but from time to time apps do too.

Viability: When a user base for a given configuration is sufficiently low, it may be difficult to find resources to maintain it.

IIRC no computer running an OS LC supports has shipped with a PPC processor in about 12 years (Apple switched in 2005). While I'm a big fan of minimizing landfills by extending the life of older hardware as much as practical, that's the key word, "practical".

If LC plays a critical role on a PPC machine revived with a supported OS, it will require that someone compile a version of LC for that CPU and OS.

At the moment, AFAIK the size of the audience for such a build is currently 1.

The size of the audience for a Linux PPC build is probably ZERO as I am not interested in one (see my recent posting on Lubuntu on a PPC), and, while I am sure there are thousands of closet PPC Linux users out there dying because they are deprived of LiveCode . . . .

This is a redundant discussion.

Richmond.

So clearly if this were to happen at all it would have to be a community project.

Given the time required, it may be more cost-effective to either replace the machines with any Intel-based system that can support modern OSes (here in the States many EDU orgs get donated Core Duo and Core 2 Duo machines from local businesses who've upgraded), or replace the LiveCode role on those machines with something that supports PPC.

With the latter option, though, it may buy only a little time but not much: since no new mainstream computers have been made with PPC CPUs in more than a decade, it's only a matter of time before more and more projects stop supporting that architecture. Over time the range of supported software for PPC can only get ever smaller.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems