Paul Dupuis wrote:

> On 12/18/2017 1:49 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
>> Which IPC method are you using?
>>
> Using LiveCode's open process (and related statements) vs open socket
> (IP) or using files.
>
> I have a set of stacks that work perfectly under Windows. The main app
> uses open process to spawn/launch the helper app standalone, which in
> turn listens for messages from the parent. The main app sens a message
> to the helper app, it does its thing and returns information to the
> main app (a series of these exchanges actually takes place) that then
> the main app senss a message for the helper exit. Check are built in
> for error or by checking teh open processes to see if the helper
> crashes or was quit (by a forced quit) and restart the helper is
> needed. As noted it work great.
>
> In principle, the same code should work equally great under OSX, but
> it does not. And yes, if (and when) I have time, i will track down the
> bugs and report them, but at the moment I was hoping for a quick fix
> where someone else already on the list may have identified the OSX
> idiosyncrasies and had sample code that worked around them :-)

If it's a bug in the engine no scripter can help.

But given how much of a Unix like macOS depends on stdin/stdout streams, I'd be surprised to see a regression in that engine.

Windows and Unix do handle processes differently under the hood, but if LC is doing what it ideally should be doing I agree we shouldn't need OS-forked code.

Diagnosing whether this is an engine issue or a platform difference would require review of the code for both processes.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems