DDoS tools aside <g>, what APIs need more than one call at a time?

I can think of a use in my (relatively) simple Indiana On Tap mobile app. Currently I fetch some mySQL data and download some images from a HostM account through their SSL API. The data is a couple of arrays with a 30-300 entries each and the images are between 5KB-200KB. Sometimes these fire off super fast back-to-back-to-back finishing in 3 or 4 seconds, but other times there is a network lag (I've scripted some tests and determined it isn't the app or the server process) and the entire process takes up 25 seconds.

Just recently while testing some REST stuff I discovered how to do the async tsNet calls (I second whomever suggested crowd funding Charles to write some tutorial stacks!). I think by calling these commands async will allow me to speed up the app initialization process: no waiting for server reply between each request so I can move onto the 1st non-splash card of the app.

The speed increase and ability to make multiple concurrent non-blocking calls is also the key to allowing "Enable Background Execution" of this app. This unexpected bonus benefit is YUGE as that has been a complaint about the app.

--Andrew Bell