On 2018-01-10 18:34, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
Dunno. It's a mystery to me. I'm just working off Ali's comments in
the PR. Can you guarantee then that widgets must always be distributed
with a manifest.xml file? Or equivalent?

https://github.com/livecode/livecode-ide/commit/397deb26d7c0f93d4461bb36e292f8bafd5b0a5c

I can't guarantee there will be a separate file in the future necessarily, nor something human-readable (the manifest.xml is actually generated mechanically from the data in the compiled module file and combined with the metadata statements in the source file).

However, as has been highlighted here, we do need to add a nice, simple, stable API which returns an array describing a control's public API to the IDE library. There is an API which does it in a form suitable for the property inspector, but that's not quite as succinct.

So I can guarantee we will add a function 'ideDescribeControl' or some such which would return an array listing the controls properties with full type information and associated metadata so plugins don't have to rely on fettling with internal details.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

--
Mark Waddingham ~ m...@livecode.com ~ http://www.livecode.com/