Thanks to all for your thoughts and comments.

My first try now was Lubuntu 17.10.1, Installation was quick and easy, but
unfortunately there seems to be a bug in it which affects my graphic card
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1724639
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1724639>

Problem is that after startup 80% of the screen are shown black. I need to
hibernate the system and wake it up again to get the whole screen shown.

In a next step and when i have again some spare time i will try 16.04, if this
is also not working then i will again “say good bye” to Linux as i did already
some years ago and will move on with Mac OS X and Windows.
At least for some time.  Linux and me - some kind of a love-hate. ;)

Matthias