Here we go again: I reply to my own posting:

So: I have 2 fields and a button; the button having this sort of script:

on mouseUp
   put empty into fld "fff"
   select after fld "fff"
   type "q"
end mouseUp

and the cardScript of the stack having this sort of script:

on rawKeyDown RD
   put empty into fld "sss"
   put RD into fld "sss"
end rawKeyDown

at which point, on clicking on the button I get "113"
in field "sss", and, oddly enough, empty in field "fff".

Of course that doesn't help me at all as I want to do things the other way round:

i.e. I want to send a rawKeyDown signal that fakes typing on the key on my keyboard
that has the underlying rawKey code of 113.

Richmond.