Yes, trying to figure out WHY the connection failed is trickier. I think you
are right that Safari pings an IP (to exclude DNS problems) and then looks at
the response. A ping that has no route will report something like Destination
Unreachable as opposed to timeout. On my Apple terminal, if I ping a bogus DNS
name, I get cannot resolve <hostname>: unknown host. If I ping a bogus IP, I
get a timeout. If I disable all network adapters I get a timeout AND sendto: No
route to host. Windows probably does something similar.

I suppose you could simply ping through a shell and then peruse the responses.

Bob S