On 06/23/2018 07:05 PM, Warren Samples via use-livecode wrote:
Hello,

I don't recall off the top of my head what the current remaining issue is with the dictionary under Linux. I know there have been a couple or three that have been reported by different people on different distros. The workaround to open the dictionary in a browser is working pretty well, but could use at least one enhancement if it can be managed. Currently if I have my default browser open on some desktop other than the one LiveCode is on, the dictionary opens in a new tab on the other desktop. Could the command used be finessed to force it to open a new window? This 'should' open naturally on the current desktop. Another possible solution would be a preference option to set a browser for the dictionary. That would allow one to use a browser other than the default browser and avoid this (minor) inconvenience.

Warren

I found a solution. I post it here in case another Linux user would be interested in this.

It requires some very minor editing of the file:

'revidelibrary.8.livecodescript'

which is in the '../runrev/components/<Livecode-edition-version>/Toolset/libraries/' directory.

I commented out two lines and added for each of them a corresponding line which launches the browser using shell(). This is what it looks like (email formatting may insert linebreaks):

revIDEGenerateDictionaryHTML tWhich
-- launch url ("file:" & revIDEGetDictionaryUrl(tWhich))     #original code
get shell("falkon" && revIDEGetDictionaryUrl(tWhich) && "</dev/null &>/dev/null &") -- my shell call, all one line

and

revIDEGenerateDictionaryHTML "api", pLibrary, pTag, pType
-- launch url ("file:" & revIDEGetDictionaryUrl("api"))  #original code
get shell("falkon" && revIDEGetDictionaryUrl("api") && "</dev/null &>/dev/null &") -- my shell call, all one line

The first instance is at line 4639 and the second at line @ 4920.

I ultimately chose a dedicated browser, Falkon, for a few reasons. Opening my default browser with a command line switch which forces a new window works, and does what I had hoped, but using a dedicated browser and letting it open tabs once it's open has some significant advantages. The redirection at the end of the command detaches the running process from the shell, making shell() non-blocking.

Warren