J. Landman Gay wrote:

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 11:31 PM J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <

The standalone builder no longer locks messages; the docs say this:

"As an attempt to improve this situation, the code that locks messages
when closing and opening stacks for standalone builds has been removed.
This means that where previously mainstacks would not receive openStack
and closeStack messages during standalone build, they now do."

Where in the docs does it say this (or what is the "situation" the code is
trying to improve)?

The Release Notes, page 3. The situation it tries to fix:

"The standalone builder has always needed to close the stacks it builds for reasons pretty deeply ingrained in the code. However this causes a few problems, for example:
values in script locals become empty
behaviors are broken when the parent script is on / in a stack which closes"

I'm finding that the workaround is more trouble than the initial issues. The stack I'm helping with has multiple open* and close* handlers, and they all need to be updated.

^ this

Building a standalone is the whole point of the process of developing with LC, and now that it's so disruptive it kills the joy of choosing LiveCode.

For more than a decade I've believed making the SB into a separate process would be a good idea.

It's no longer a good idea.  It's now a necessity.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems