You're right, split deletes duplicates. In fact, I use it as a quick way to do just that.

I don't see any way to add line numbers without looking at each line. But you could keep a counter in a variable and put the text into an array with the counter integer as the key. That might be faster than keeping a text list. I haven't followed this thread closely, so probably that's already been suggested.

I think if you remove the speed hit that updates the field scroll, it might get fast enough.