Bob Sneidar wrote:

> People cannot remember commands, especially not terminal commands,
> with all the arguments and caveats and different ways to put it all
> together.

For end-users, the awareness of that principle is very powerful.

But where are we, here in this discussion? On a mailing list for programmers using a rich language with 3,000+ tokens to memorize. :)

Just as LiveCode is the way we build applications, Terminal is the way we manage our systems.

Locally, you can get away with never automating anything in bash (though why wouldn't a programmer want to take advantage of automation?).

But for working with servers, bash is the lingua franca of sysadmin, the foundation of efficient work to handle all the essentials and also make systems more robust, secure, and redeployable.

Besides, most servers have no GUI, so Terminal is your only UI.

As programmers, we like the expressiveness of text and the opportunity to learn.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems