On 2019-01-03 12:13, Malte Pfaff-Brill via use-livecode wrote:
It might be that I stand corrected for the behaviour of lock / unlock screen.
But then I also stand puzzled on the effect it has between engines.
Same code which redrew the screen within 2.5 seconds on the 5.x series
took 11 secs in 8/9. After debugging libraries. Being used to make
sure that lock screens no longer nested brought this down to 1.5
seconds. Rest of the code left unchanged! I really do not get it. That
said, I am pretty happy with the fact. I only wish I would have
found/tried this earlier.

I wonder if this is combination of one too many unlock screens (so the screen wasn't actually locked for the whole process you timed); and having a Retina screen...

If so, in 5.x the screen was probably being redrawn when you didn't intend also, but it was rendering 1/4 of the number of pixels so took 1/4 of the time or thereabouts (5.x would have been rendering to a 1/4 size buffer which was then upscaled by the OS to full-resolution Retina; it was only 6.x+ which started to render to a full-retina resolution window buffer on retina displays).

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

--
Mark Waddingham ~ m...@livecode.com ~ http://www.livecode.com/