The script Ken Ray posted on his site to Get MAC Address is excellent.
One note though, on my Win98 SE machine the function returned nothing
because

get matchText(temp,"Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
([A-Z0-9-]*)",retVal)

doesn't find "Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :"

The data returned by IPCONFIG.EXE shows "Physical Address. . . . . . :"
So, removing 3 periods:

get matchText(temp,"Physical Address. . . . . . : ([A-Z0-9-]*)",retVal)

does work.

Perhaps the format of information returned by IPCONFIG.EXE varies by Windows
version (a very Microsofty possibility!) If this is so, someone more adept
at Regular Expressions than I might want to post a matchtext parameter that
finds "Physical Address" + any number of periods + colon.

Jim Lambert