This might be of interest...

sims

From the web page http://www.microcosmsoftware.com/systemlanguage.html

"System Language is an extension to Applescript that allows a scripter to determine in his script what language is being used by the system on which the script is running. A numerical language code, or the name of the language in plain text is returned based on how System language is called by the scripter. One possible use of System Language might be to allow scripts to automatically detect and adjust to running on systems in different languages."

I actually think it's something that should be a built in function.
Particularly for MacOS as the engine does not hide the language menu. But if
there is an applescript/file based or shell solution then I'm eager to hear
it.

Cheers

Monte