On Monday, December 9, 2002, at 08:29 AM, Martin Baxter wrote:

As I understand it, standard RGB monitor gamma (as defined by the hardware)
gives a non-linear brightness response to voltage. Hence mid grey value
127,127,127 would appear on the monitor noticeably lighter than 'mid grey'.
I'm pleased to be learning about gamma.

It seems to me that a measure of "brightness" for a particular color must have a profile or wavelength band associated with it. One would hope this profile matches a typical response for a healthy human. In general though, it may depend on some standard.

Dar Scott