Le Thursday, 9 Jan 2003, à 03:46 US/Central, [EMAIL PROTECTED] a écrit :

- FileMaker takes use of Unicode fonts, but we have to use special
  CE-fonts for countries like Poland or Russia, because of the
  special chars.
Normally you don't need Unicode for WE, CE or Cyrillic unless the language is not included in the correspondent ISO font map definition (latin 1 for WE for instance) you can also find fonts following other ISO definitions evenß though Apple doesn't use this possibility, preferring to switch to Unicode; I guess they are right: it would just be crazy, for instance, to take care of latin 3 (turkish, rumanian, esperanto, maltese) which has had few fonts developed, most of them featuring many SCII addresses not respecting the ISO guide lines!.

I do not have a good experience about Windows but I would be surprised if there were not a bunch of fonts for lots of languages out there. Defining the keyboard map for an ergonomical input is certainly not so user friendly as with mac's resEdit, but it should be possible.

I agree that Unicode is certainly the solution for the future, but now, I think one should consider that it might be other solutions; at least for some program types, concerning certain groups of languages, and for most users outside the United Stattes, that will have to use slow modems and old computers for many years.

Manuel