On Mon Dec 17, 2007, Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com wrote:

 The only thing I could
think of would be to make it a multi-step process:

1) Take the original image (img "orig"), duplicate it (img "dupe") and
lock its loc.
2) Set the rect of "dupe" to the same size as the polygon
3) Make a new image object (img "stretch") that has the same size as
the copy.
4) Set the imageData of the "stretch" to the imageData of "dupe"
5) Set the backgroundPattern of the polygon to "stretch"

This of course couldn't happen dynamically in real time without
stuttering, etc., especially on larger images. I miss SuperCard's
manipulation of pictureData in Revolution (you can do all sorts of
other things too like setting offsets, magnification etc.) - it would
be a great addition to Rev...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.

In my reply of Nov 29 to thread "Any suggestions on how to "onion skinning"?" I had mentioned some new features of my upcoming release of the "Imagedata Toolkit" - among them

"copying - and enlarging or shrinking - and pasting oval or rectangular portions of an image into the same or another image with variable fringe and/or overall blending into the basic image)."

I applied this to a photo of a not unknown public figure, the result can be inspected here:

<http://www.sanke.org/Software/SmilingBush.jpg>.

To achieve this I used a number of steps, in which about two of Ken's five steps are applied, but most of which follow a different sequence and are of another nature.

The basis for the "copying - and enlarging or shrinking - and pasting oval or rectangular portions of an image" are rects, ovals, and polygons in the form of images with transparent fringes of different sizes.

I use a rectangular or oval graphic as a selection tool that can be resized and dragged across the photo to select a portion of it (This selection tool is similar to that used in my "seamless tiles 2" stack). The underlying image - the partially tranparent basic template - is then adjusted in location and size to the selected portion of the photo. At the same time an already existing empty image "newimage" is also set to the selected portion of the image. The imagedata of the selected portion of the photo are then read into the "newimage", and the alphadata of the template are applied to the "newimage".

You can then enlarge or shrink "newimage" or leave it as it is and drag it to any place on the photo. You can also flip "newimage".

Next step is to integrate the image- and alphadata of "newimage" into the photo, either once or several times at different places. This integration can be applied with variable levels of blending, in addition to the transparent fringe of the template that ensures optimal blending into the photo.

If an enlarged portion of "newimage" should have been dragged to a position where it overlaps the rect of the photo, the overlapping parts of "newimage" are then cut off in the process of integration.-

For "SmilingBush" I have only used a single oval template. The star - taken from the left side - on his forehead - is partially blended. One of the flags - taken from his lapel - has been flipped.-

I hope I do not cause trouble with this attempt of a caricature - as it happens in other parts of the world. Bush is indeed a known public figure and as such often the object of caricatures.

Best regards,

Wilhelm Sanke

<http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia>