personName[3258] = "Billy Bob"
  birthyear[3258] = 1982

Intersecting the values you get from retrieving each array/key combo gives
you the identifiers for all the people who match all your selection
criteria, as many as you care to specify.

I've just about got it. You gave me a good jumping board, Dick. Here's where it sits. Using one single array (this allows for the best ease of use), data is stored as follows:

census[1111,team] = Red Sox
census[2222,team] = Red Sox
census[3333,team] = White Sox
census[1111,city] = Chicago
census[2222,city] = Atlanta
census[3333,city] = Chicago

Now, to get a list of folks that live in Atlanta that are Red Sox fans, I did the following:

put census into a
combine a with return and comma
filter a with "*,team,Red Sox"

put census into b
combine b with return and comma
filter b with "*,city,Atlanta"

This gives me:
a =
1111,team,Red Sox
2222,team,Red Sox

b =
2222,city,Atlanta

Can a and b be intersected as is? (My attempts failed.) The following works beautifully, but is it the most efficient? Is using split/combine/filter to manipulate a giant array faster than a repeat loop thru a gigantic list?

  split a by return and comma
  split b by return and comma
  intersect a with b

  combine a with return and comma
  answer a

a =
2222,team,Red Sox

That gave me exactly what I need. A list of anyone with team(Red Sox) and city(Atlanta) with item 1 of each line as the unique identifier.

Any efficiency suggestions are welcome :-)

Shari

--
WlND0WS and MAClNT0SH shareware games
BIackjack GoId