On Feb 4, 2008, at 12:50 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:

released, where you had to create a project in a save-disabled version of
the program, and send that in (try to work that out!). I won a tee-

...all right - I'll bite. How in the world did you manage that?

mTropolis could publish in various ways, and the save disabled one would not let you save a project, but you could publish out a playback only version. This meant you had to do something interesting in one sitting (these days I wouldn't be surprised about a program staying open for days, but those were the days when that wasn't so likely, and you needed real RAM to have lots of programs open). The competition was held before the release of v1.0 of the program, and so it was with a beta version. I set about doing the thing I had in mind, and after about four hours of working on it the application crashed. I started from scratch, but was nicely warmed up now, and managed to redo the work, and finish off, in about 2 1/2 hours, and then I published the read only one and sent that in. The source file literally never existed!