It's ok, you just need to append ".local" to the return value of "the hostName".

All the Best
Dave

On 15 Feb 2008, at 18:36, Alex Tweedly wrote:

Dave wrote:
Hi All,

I have the following function:

--  Get the LAN IP Address of this Machine
function IPMGetHostIPAddressLAN
  local myHostIPAddress

  put hostNameToAddress(the hostName) into myHostIPAddress
  return myHostIPAddress
end IPMGetHostIPAddressLAN

This used to work fine and return the local LAN address of the machine the Script is running on, I just tried it and now it just returns empty.

I originally cribbed this from Richmond's "Get IP Address" stack. I download this again from rev online and it too fails. From this stack:

on mouseUp
put "Public IP =" && url "http://xtalk.memebot.com/cgi-bin/ ip.cgi" into line 1 of fld "F1" put "Local IP =" && hostnametoaddress ("localhost") into line 2 of fld "F1" put "LAN IP =" && hostnametoaddress(the hostname) into line 3 of fld "F1"
end mouseUp

When I run this I get "empty" as the LAN Address. The other two IP address fields are filled in ok.

Could anyone shed any light on why this has stopped working and how I can obtain the LAN IP address?

Which machine ? OS ? Rev version ?

It would be interesting to see the output from
  put the hostname  && ":" && hostnametoaddress(the hostname)

to see whether the hostname has been set properly (and then to see whether the host name to address mapping is OK).

if you're on a Mac, try opening a terminal window, and look at the output from
   echo $HOSTNAME
if you're on a PC, ummmm .... I forget :-) - but look at what the system thinks the hostname is.

--

Alex Tweedly      mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]      www.tweedly.net