Dave Cragg wrote:

I may just be nervous by nature, but I never put the engine in the cgi-bin folder. By my understanding, the http server will try to execute anything in the cgi-bin folder that has execute permissions set. My worry is whether the server can be coerced into passing parameters when it tries to run the engine. (There was a security problem in the past with the Perl executable on Windows due to this.) While I'm fairly confident Rev is immune from this, why take the risk?

I think we can relax as long as we don't script anything stupid. Here are a couple of quotes from Scott Raney about it:

With MetaCard your primary (and probably exclusive) risk would be in
executing commands or evaluating expressions that come from untrusted
sources.  Any use of the "do" and "send" commands or the "value"
function should be very diligently evaluated to make sure that there
is no possibility of this occuring.  Of course, you also have to be
careful about where you write files, but it's a relatively simple
matter to check a path for validity (e.g., don't allow a leading "/", or the "..", ":", or "~" characters anywhere in a path).

Which he follows with:

I certainly wouldn't rule out building or using MetaCard server
software, even for protocols for which well-known (if buggy) open
source software is widely available.  While I don't see any big
advantage to writing an FTP server in MetaCard, an HTTP server that
executes CGI scripts is a different matter entirely and an area where
a MetaCard server could be safer and feature-competitive with any of
the alternatives.

<snip>

I've got a soap box here too, and in *my* opinion, the ubiquity of
buffer-overrun bugs in open source software rises to the level of
criminal negligence.  There is just no excuse for this kind of sloppy
programming, yet not a week goes by that yet another example of this
kind of thing isn't found in one of the commonly used open-source
packages.  I wouldn't blindly trust Microsoft software either, but at
least the majority of the security holes in their products were put
there deliberately to improve the usability of the products rather
than as the result of poor security hygiene on the part of the
developer.

My advice is to not be afraid of this stuff.  Sure, you have to be
careful, but you can hardly do any worse a job than those hacks who
are writing the software that runs the Internet ;-)

I miss that guy.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [EMAIL PROTECTED]