The subject line pretty much says it all, but more specifically I want to statistically analyse change in pitch, not play it, save it as sound or relate it directly to any musical system. So any kind of rational number would be fine, and I would then chuck away the .wav .aiff or whatever.

1/ How hard would it be to parse sound files recorded in Rev and extract just the chunks of data relating to pitch ?

2/ Does it make any difference if the sound is complex (like an animal call) or simple like a signal from a tone generator?

3/ Are any of the formats offered by Rev easier to handle in this respect?

4/ Assuming standard bit rates, how much pitch data would be generated by, say a ten second recording?

5/ I have settled for post hoc parsing rather than 'on the fly' processing because I assumed the overhead would be too great for the latter to work. Is that right?

5/ Are there any other sensible questions I should be asking?

Best Wishes,

David Glasgow
Carlton Glasgow Partnership

http://www.i-psych.co.uk