David,
I had similar problems - and many others - with Linux NAS.
Went with a Mac Mini, a Firewire HD and TimeMachine. More reliable and MUCH faster.
Paul Looney

On May 2, 2008, at 10:43 AM, David Bovill wrote:

Just got a shiny new NAS. Copying over files from USB drives on the Mac and I come across the old too long / funny character problem... "?" and "/" and so forth not allowed. I thought this would have been fixed on the Linus
based file servers by now - but not.

Anyone got a solution - there are thousands of files to copy - or a script - or a reference to figure out all the different chars that needs fixing?