Ben Rubinstein wrote:
But I do get a ton of PayPal phishing spam (7-10/day that gets past my spam filters) and find it very convenient to know without looking that any message about my PayPal account is spam. I think that's a positive reason to avoid setting up a PayPal account.

There is no relationship between having a PayPal account and receiving phishing attempts via email. I get phishing emails from faux PayPal sites to email addresses I've never used. Those are sent to a wide variety of addresses from both known and random lists, and I've seen no pattern which ties them to PayPal accounts in any way.

Email addresses used with other vendors are a different story. Oh the spam I get from an address I've only used with JetBlue, and as much as I like their flights I must say I've found it disturbing that I've been unable to find anyone in that company willing to investigate the source of the privacy leak.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Managing Editor, revJournal