On 19 May 2008, at 19:11, Henk van der Velden wrote:

Thanks a lot; I'll dive into this.
Henk

I got intrigued, and managed to get something working. (It needs Flash Player 9.) You can try this in the Rev message box.

go url "http://www.lacscentre.co.uk/flex/socketTest/FlashSocketTest.rev";

When the stack loads, click the Setup button. It will load a swf file using revBrowser.

When the swf file has loaded, click its "Get Environment From Rev" button. Hopefully, it will display the environment variables and time supplied by Rev.

Troy wrote:

In the end, it works like this... you have Rev start listening for a socket connection, you have Flash connect to it, and you start communicating back and forth.

I had trouble working out how to manage the connection from the Rev side. If you want Rev to push data to the Flash element at arbitrary times, you need to keep the connection open. But if you also want to accept data from the Flash element, doesn't the Flash script need to reset the connection prior to sending data otherwise Rev doesn't know when to read from the socket. In the example above, Rev closes the socket each time after sending the data, forcing the Flash component to reconnect. Is there a cleaner approach to this?

Cheers
Dave