If you're setting up ssh key pairs, you won't need to use "expect" because no password is needed.

I started following this article:

http://www.sakana.fr/blog/2008/05/07/securing-automated-rsync-over-ssh/

but got stuck at "We can use the ssh-copy-id utility for this purpose" since I have no such utility. I was going to manually add the key pair to "~/.ssh/authorized_keys " on the remote host, but I'm not sure what "~" signifies on a Linux box. (on OS X it's the user directory)

But Sarah's solution seems to work great.

One caveat, with rsync, I have not figured out how to provide a progress slider!