Hi Paul,

I concur.

In the transition from Rev 2.8.1 to 2.9.0 (Mac and Windows versions at least), there has been a change in double-click-text and triple-click-text behaviors.

The 2.8.1 behaviors are exactly the same as they are in the several other apps on each platform where I tested this. The 2.9.0 behaviors aren't.

In 2.9.0, it seems the trailing CR gets selected with the rest of the line upon triple-click, causing any replacement text to be inserted at the beginning of what was originally the line following the selected line. So the list linecount is shortened by one line.

I believe it's a bug!

Phil Davis

Paul Looney wrote:
Revvers,
I am having a problem with Rev 2.9 and OS X 10.4.11. If you can confirm this is also a problem on Windows and Linux, I'll post the bug.

Previously (through version 2.8.1) one triple-clicked to select an entire line of text. In Rev. 2.9 a triple-click also selects the return character at the end of the clicked line. So, if you triple-click to select a line of text between two other lines of text, then begin typing, the third line will have jumped to the end of the second.
This creates massive havoc with linked scrolling fields:
1. Triple-click to change a quantity
2. Attempt to edit the selection
3. Any quantities below have jumped up one line
4. Any descriptions, or prices below that line are now out of alignment.
5. Because there is code to keep the fields in sync, hitting Return in the problem field (to fix the problem) will just add a blank line to all of the linked fields - without fixing the problem.

In the word processors and spreadsheets I've used to date, triple-clicking does not select the final return. They work as Rev. used to work.

By the way, using a triple-click was a workaround for Rev's non-standard way of handling the double click: Double-clicking in Rev works for selecting quantities or single word descriptions but on prices containing both integers and fractions (123.45) it only selects one side of the decimal. Making it more difficult than needed for a user to change a price. Triple-clicking was a way of selecting, and editing the entire price.

In word processors and spreadsheets I've used to date, double-clicking will select the entire number - if the period/decimal is the final character of text, the period will not be selected.

It would be nice if both double-click and triple-click worked in the standard way, but it is essential that triple click work right - as it did.

Is this a problem on Windows and/or Linux?
Was the problem created by the new Unicode extensions in Rev?
Is there some reason why it needs to work this way?

By the way, using the linked scrolling fields was a workaround to get right-aligned columns. A true table field would fix a host of problems! ;-)

Sincerely,
Paul Looney

--
Phil Davis