Thanks A LOT! With type it & the result works now!

All the best!
Viktoras

J. Landman Gay wrote:
viktoras didziulis wrote:
Jacqueline, Thanks for the suggestion,

still 'the result' after execution is empty. It would probably contain something if path selection failed. The other 'result' (path stored in 'it') does not always contain an extension. If user types it in, or chooses from a list of existing file names, then it is there. But otherwise if user provides file name without an extension, script has to check what was the file type selected, appends correct extension and directs output to a necessary processing handler.

I misread your post, I didn't notice you were using "filter". But I just did a test using "with type" and it works.

on mouseUp
ask file "Export picture as:" with type "JPEG File|jpg|JPEG" or type "GIF File|gif|GIFf"
  put the result into tResult
  put it && tResult
end mouseUp

I typed in a file name without an extension. The message box contained the path to the file and "JPEG File".

Will that work for you?