Richard Gaskin wrote:

If teaching with fields works, by all means keep doing it.

I think I'd start with teaching fields so they can get the concepts down, but then move pretty quickly to using variables so they learn to program efficiently. There's no good reason to teach poor programming practices.

Moving data in and out of fields is one of the slowest, most inefficient things you can do in Rev, so it's good practice to do as little of it as possible. While it is true that today's computers are fast, parsing a large field by repeatedly accessing and replacing its contents will be very slow if there is any substantial text in it.

Richard, you wrote a great explanation of this on the list some time ago. I wonder if you still have it. Something about moving things around in the janitor's closet every time you needed to get the cleaning fluid or something.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [EMAIL PROTECTED]