read the docs again for
shellcommand:

Examples:
set the shellCommand to "/bin/sh/ksh"

it's the kind of shell, not the location of terminal.app

also since shell is a function, use 'put' or 'get' with it

longer or complex shell commands should be put into a field first, or properly formatted for quotes, etc.

on mouseUp
        put shell ("KillAll Finder")
end mouseUp

Stephen Barncard wrote:

"check out shell() and shellcommand in the docs"

which I did, Thanks, but obviously I'm having a "thick patch" and don't quite understand why the following didn't work:

on mouseUp
  set the shellCommand to "/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app"
 shell ("KillAll Finder")
end mouseUp

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

--