This doesn't look to 'hacky' to me - maybe you could use both exit conditions in the 'until' and I'm not sure you need to to do the calculation - using just 'the formattedheight' seems to work fine:

repeat until (the vscroll of fld "Song" = the formattedHeight of fld "Song") or the mouseclick

though this doesn't improve the functionality at all - the fomattedHeight is a reliable property, so it seems like a good approach...

Best,

Mark