The docs say "It affects numbers only when they are calculated and then displayed or used as strings."

I found that if you use <put item 1 of someNum + 0 into word 1 of padedNum>

this forces padedNum to be a string, and you get '08'

I've always found the numberFormat thing confusing, so I always use 'format' in these cases...

Best,

Mark