Terry Judd wrote:

> On 10/9/08 10:49 AM, "Stephen Barncard" wrote:
>>
>> I want to back up a REV .app package in MacOSX Leopard and send it to
>> an FTP server. But I need to squash the whole thing for upload first.
>>
>> 1. I've been using the zip functions in Rev, but one has to handle
>> each file separately and just keep track, or just turn the internal
>> hierarchy into a flat folder. RevZip has no provision for maintaining
>> folder structure. Does anyone know how to create (or where to
>> include) a 'playlist' for a rev-zip file that can tell an unzipper to
>> preserve the folders? How is that done?

I think you're on your own there, Stephen. It's tedious to code, but doable.

>> 2. Using zip from the shell has problems - it doesn't want to see any
>> .DS_Store nonsense, or for that fact anything else with duplicate
>> names, even in different folders. I don't want to have to modify the
>> content this way to make it work.
>>
>> 3. I have yet to find an Applescript that I could use that selects
>> and engages the "Compress" item in the file menu of the finder, but
>> if I could make that work that would be Marvey.
>
> There's an Automator action for the Finder called 'create
> archive' that should do what you want.

Excited by the prospect of being able to create Zip archives without the dot files, I just tested it. No go: with the action's "Ignore unreadable files"option on or off (what exactly is an "unreadable files?"; the notes for that action do not explain) it still copies the .DS_Store files. :(

Apple employs smart people. I'm sure one of them was smart enough to recognize that if they're somehow stuck with a file system requiring such kludges for simple metadata then surely there's a preference to govern it for copying and archiving. Now if only we could find it....

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Managing Editor, revJournal