Tiemo Hollmann wrote:
> Actually I didn't thought that 2300 lines of code could affect
> the IDE and as I posted before, the slowdown is already with
> only IDE open, without any stack open, very curious.

Definitely odd. This may not be necessary, but have you considered a fresh install? If nothing else it'll help ensure you're back to the default configuration, reducing the deltas between your experience and that of systems performing better.

> A bit of history:
> There is a competitive product of rev, Toolbook (which has the same
> Hypercard derivation as Rev) which has the 2^15 KB char limit per
> field still today :-)

Nice to see another ToolBook refugee here. Before I jumped on the MetaCard/Rev bandwagon I did the programming on a CBT series for a major retail chain with ToolBook. I liked many things about it (esp. the direct script access to OS APIs), but alas my clients just can't afford to use platform-specific tools anymore.

Is it still $2,495? I visited toolbook.com to check the prices, but when I clicked the Store link I got:

  Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e14'
  Incorrect syntax near '='.
  /30094192/init.asp, line 41

Like I said, my clients can't afford to use platform-specific tools. ;)

They're up to v9.5 and still have that text limit? Odd. Coupled with the multi-year span between v7 and v8, I gotta wonder what's up with that code base.

TB's boot sequence (at least as of v7, the last I used) is very strange, with DLLs and script libraries in at least three different directories across the hard drive. I discussed this with their support staff while I was having a tough time tracking down a strange bug, and at the time they said they had no documentation on the boot sequence so I was left to my own devices to track it down. After I'd figured it out I submitted documentation on it to the team, and to the best of my knowledge that was the only support documentation on the boot sequence they had for some time. I was happy to help -- they were really nice people -- but it seemed an odd omission for a system that complex.

That's one of the things I loved about the Rev engine the moment I started using it: it delivers a self-contained EXE, and a surprisingly small one at that.

Even today, when I deliver products to Fortune 500 companies, their IT staff sometimes ask me what else is needed for installation and are surprised when I tell them the little EXE is all they need. "What DLLs does it need?" they ask. "None", I say. They walk away confused but happy. :)

Still, there are some very good ideas in ToolBook, some of which would benefit us here, like the new iPhone deployment option.

PS: I found the issue with TB's Store: seems they require cookies, but don't provide a warning when they're turned off (love Firefox's privacy options). The current price is $2,795. Makes Rev Enterprise look like a steal, even more so when you consider the multi-platform deployment options.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Managing Editor, revJournal